Wednesday, June 13, 2007

18th Century Filth

I am currently reading Henry Fielding's 1749 novel 'Tom Jones' and I was understandably shocked when I came across this passage in Book IV Chapter 14:

"...'Why ma'am,' answered Mrs Honour, 'he came into the room one day last week when I was at work and there lay your ladyship's muff on a chair, and to be sure he put his hands into it, that very muff you ladyship gave me but yesterday; "La," says I, " Mr Jones, you will stretch my lady's muff and spoil it;" but he still kept his hands in it, and then he kissed it - to be sure, I hardly ever saw such a kiss in my life as he gave it...and said it was the prettiest muff in the world'..."

Disgraceful. And to think they teach this in schools.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah mind there wiz a Tam Jones, bid hit Cuffaboots. He wiz aye efter gittin his hands oan a wummins muff tae.